We are relentless in our dedication to provide premedical students with personal mentoring that produces significantly higher MCAT score. We strive to permanently impact the lives of our students by developing students' confidence discipline, and self-determination.
We help students earn higher MCAT scores by utilizing superior teaching methods and by providing constant mentoring and support.
Superior Teaching Methods
- Private one-on-one tutoring instead of one-size-fits-all classroom instruction
- Interactive small group seminars instead of monotonous lectures
- Curriculum that emphasizes critical thinking and conceptual mastery instead of rote memorization or plug-n-chug
- Multiple learning environments for all types of learners instead of relying solely on classroom lectures
- Regularly scheduled review of each topic instead of assigning each topic to a single class
- Frequent opportunities to attempt and experience real AAMC MCAT questions under proctored conditions instead of taking only sporadic practice exams
Constant Mentoring & Support
- Each student is assigned to an elite qualified personal tutor
- 24-hour access to your assigned tutor via phone, text, or email
- Regular tutor office hours for additional instruction and support
- Detailed monitoring and feedback with extra help as needed to keep you on track
- Proprietary tools that accurately predict your eventual MCAT score at any point during the program
Facts about Altius
- Founded in 2005
- Headquartered just outside of Salt Lake City, UT
- Altius is the fastest growing MCAT prep company in the United States & Canada
- Our on-site MCAT programs are now offered at more than 30 universities in 7 different states and our live MCAT Everywhere™ program is available in all fifty states, Canada, and Puerto Rico
A Message From Our Founder
Lauren Curtis | Founder
If you are reading this, you are probably about to embark on the long and strenuous journey of MCAT preparation. I wish you the very best and sincerely hope that you achieve a score that exceeds your expectations. Understanding a little about my background and the history of Altius may help you make that pivotal decision about how you will prepare for this crucial gatekeeper exam.
In 2004, after several years working in the business world, I decided to return to school and pursue my dream of becoming a physician. I bought and carefully used and analyzed all three of the so called "complete" MCAT study programs offered by the major preparation companies then in existence. As I studied, I saw a regular pattern among all programs. The first chapter or two of each book was dedicated to strategy and tactics. Following this were several hundred pages of text, consisting almost entirely of facts, figures and formulas. Nothing seemed illogical about this arrangement until I began taking the real MCAT practice tests published by the AAMC. I quickly determined that although I had memorized almost everything provided to me in these books, I was still ill-prepared to answer real MCAT questions. Frankly, I felt let down. I determined that students like me could benefit greatly from an MCAT preparation program that focused more on conceptual thinking (what the MCAT actually tests) than on rote memorization. And thus Altius was born.
At the time, I was just naïve enough to have no fear taking on the big national prep companies head-to-head. I was experienced enough to know that we could certainly improve on the status quo. In the years that followed, we embarked on a serious adventure to develop the ideal MCAT preparation system. We relied heavily on scientific research in the fields of memory, learning, pedagogy, and standardized testing. The result was a dynamic new approach that rejected thick review books and monotonous lectures—what had been, and remain to this day, the staples of most MCAT preparation programs. In their place, we implemented interactive, hands-on learning in small groups, private one-on-one tutoring, materials that emphasized broad conceptual learning rather than rote memorization, and an unprecedented level of student tracking, mentoring, follow-up, and support.
Today, I am more passionate than ever about helping students excel on the MCAT and gain acceptance to the best medical schools. I firmly believe that anyone who participates in an Altius MCAT program and gives it their all will achieve a score significantly higher than they would by either studying on their own or with any other preparation program. In fact, our name, Altius, is Latin for “higher.” Simply put, that’s who we are. We have higher expectations of ourselves and our students. We believe that by implementing superior, scientifically proven teaching methods, and providing consistent one-on-one mentoring, we can help anyone reach a higher level of performance. Ergo our motto: “Higher Scores for All.”
I hope to see you soon in one of our MCAT programs. May you become the latest addition to an already rich tradition of diligent students who have used the Altius MCAT program to earn dramatically higher MCAT scores.Warm Regards,
Founder & CEO, Altius Test Prep
Our tutors are more than proven MCAT experts, they are passionate mentors and personal coaches. Our tutoring team has an average MCAT score in the 98th percentile and 99.9th percentile tutors are available at nearly every location.
All tutors have previous paid teaching and/or tutoring experience, ensuring they are well qualified to help you achieve your MCAT goals.
Altius tutors have been accepted to medical school, are current medical school students, or are currently applying. As a result, they know exactly what you are going through and can offer first-hand experience and advice.